[mythtv-users] [mythtv] myth dev mod needed

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Feb 2 18:08:44 UTC 2010

<moving to -users list>

On 02/02/2010 09:22 AM, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 01:37 -0400, George Walker wrote:
>
>> I would like a specific modification to Myth for use in a Kiosk-type
>> application
>> I would like a front end with six buttons corresponding to
>> specific time-shifting periods - 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 Seconds,
>> along with the playback screen
>> I am not a coder.
>>
> George this is really a question for the MythTV users mailing list.
> I believe you can achieve this with a keyboard macro program which
> just sends 5>, 10>, 15>, 20>, 25>, 30>, resp. when those buttons are
> pressed, where > is your jump forward key (usually the right arrow).
>
> I'll not reply further in the dev list since this is not something
> requiring any code changes in MythTV.

Actually, in spite of what the documentation said until a couple weeks
ago, the jump amount is specified in the HHMM format.  So, 5 Right would
jump 5 minutes forward.

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/23213

(and 5> would actually jump to 5 minutes from the end of the show and 5<
would jump to 5 minutes from the beginning, IIRC--though I may have
directions backwards--I could point out which button to press on my
remote, but that probably wouldn't help anyone)

We don't currently have an ability to specify jump amounts in seconds.
And, since (TTBOMK) there's only one value for seek forward and one for
seek back (adjustable in Playback Groups), the closest you could get
with existing code is to set the seek forward time in the Playback Group
to 5 seconds and then have the keyboard macro repeat the SEEKFFWD
(Right) key the appropriate number of times.

Then again, for a kiosk application, it may make more sense to use
FFWDSTICKY (>) and a macro that starts the FFWDSTICKY (with one or more
>, to choose the speed) and then waits the appropriate time to send a
space to resume playback at 1x.  With that approach, the user would see
the frames flash by, so they would realize they're moving forward
(rather than a jump, which can be harder to follow if you don't realize
what just happened).  See, also
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/132808#132808
(which allows you to set the sticky fast-forward and rewind speeds, so
you could simply choose the appropriate speed (5x?) and send a single >
and then a space 1 or 2 or ... seconds later.

Mike