[mythtv-users] Possible BluRay solution

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Mon Feb 1 17:39:19 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Gregg <3gemail at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was reading the xbmc forums and noticed there was a script that
> allows the user to stream video from a BluRay disk using Makemkv for
> linux.  Does anyone have any pointers on how to create a similar
> script for mythtv to allow users to play BluRays in mythtv?
>
> Here is a link to the article:  http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67420

I read the beginning of the thread and then skimmed the remainder, but
it seemed to me that, unless I'm grossly misunderstanding how it
works, that this would only allow watching it linearly. No rewinding
(without caching everything client side) and no fast forwarding faster
than the rate it can remux the data.

Also, if you want to invest time into trying to get this to work,
you'll want to keep in mind that MakeMKV is only free during the beta.
It appears they will be charging something for it eventually. Not that
there's anything wrong with paying for software, but keep that in mind
before you invest a bunch of time only to get the rug pulled out from
underneath you some day.

--
Ron