[mythtv-users] Basic questions of newb. ( Cablevision)

Misc Things formisc at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 13:39:01 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 2010-01-31, at 14:27, Misc Things <formisc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 1:28 PM, R. G. Newbury < <newbury at mandamus.org>
> newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
>
>> On 01/31/2010 09:31 AM, Misc Things wrote:
>>
>>> cable companies are just pissing me off more and
>>> more i look into this area..
>>>

>> Welcome to the real world. Most of us feel that way too!
>>

>>  anyway, so the key piece in your explanation is - one recording per
>>> tuner, one play back - per tuner.
>>>

>> Actually, one recording OR live session per tuner. Play back of recorded
>> content is completely separate from the recording (except for live tv
>> sessions). After a while, most of us don't watch 'live-tv' at all, except
>> maybe for the weather. It's all recorded content.
>>

>>  And the box if i were to hook it up
>>> using suggested method - is a source of a single channel.
>>>  lovely (sarcastically)
>>>
>>> anyway around this ?
>>>

>> No. Unfortunately. The cheap answer is 'put up an antenna' which as you
>> have seen may actually not work. It depends upon where you live. Then again,
>> you can always move..that would be cheap!!!
>>

>> Geoff
>>

>> --
>>        Please let me know if anything I say offends you.
>>         I may wish to offend you again in the future.
>>
>>         Tux says: "Be regular. Eat cron flakes."
>>

> well i'm in NYmetor ( 10miles from Manhattan), so i (foolishly) expected
> the reception to be at least good. but non at all? yeah... (frustrated).
> I'll check the sites - maybe i got a bad antenna. I just picked up "HDTV/FM
> HD radio antenna" from radioshack by radioshack. didnot do any research -
> just wanted to check.
>
> I read a bit around and it seems that they should allow the fireware
> connection. Does this help me in any form or shape ?
>

> Assuming you have a reasonably direct view to Manhatton you should get a
> bunch of channels even with a cheap radioshack antenna. My first guess would
> be a setup problem. Not high enough, pointed the wrong way, wrong coax cable
> killing the signal, wrong input settings on the tv you were  testing on...
> You didn't feed the antenna coax into the settopbox by mistake? Or leave the
> tv set for cable input?
> I got 4 digital channels in my office, ground floor of a concrete + steel
> frame building with the 5 inch omni directional whip antenna which came with
> my HVR-950, 15 miles from the transmitter, so you should get something.
> Please give some more details about how you tested the antenna with your tv
> (and how you connected it).
>
> Regarding FireWire, the FCC mandates that you should have this. This list
> is archived at gossamer-threads. Search the list archive for 'FCC' and 'CFR'
> for a reference.
> Geoff

Antenna:
 no direct view to Manhattan. I have a large building across the parking lot
from mine to the (direct) West. And my widows are all facing West too. Here
is the map i just generated.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3dc723438e0d2a74
If i read it right - almost all channels are broadcasting from south, south
east direction. This may explain why i have nothing - the signal has to go
through half of the brick building or bounce off the opposite building...
Thinking again - still i should have got at least some cr%% pictures on
multiple channels. I plugged the antenna in UHV input and disabled "cable"
input, prior to scanning of channels, on tv. No i didn't plug it into cable
box.

Firewire:
 yeap, that's where i picked it up. I'm still not sure how it works ( or
should work) - should i be able to gain access to all tuners or only to be
able to flip channels and have one recording or playback at a time ?