[mythtv-users] HD-PVR Priming Script?

Martin Lynch martin.lynch.toronto at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 17:27:44 UTC 2010

Aside from my ongoing RBlaster woes, my new HD-PVR routinely (read: at
least twice a day during heavy use) fails. By this I mean that stopping
watching live TV in myth doesn't stop the HD-PVR - the blue light on top
remains on, and myth can no longer use that input thereafter. Likewise,
live TV fails a couple of times a day with an error message along the
lines of "video failed - too many buffer overruns". The HD-PVR stays
lit. If I manually turn the HD-PVR off and then on, myth often doesn't
recognize it - the backend gives an error that there are no inputs
attached. As near as I can figure out, my entire system requires a
reboot at this point in order for the HD-PVR to work (ie I've tried
removing the capture card in mythtv-setup and replacing it, which does
not work, etc.).

What I'm wondering is: would it be possible to write a script which
tests the HD-PVR and, on a bad result, power cycles it or, if necessary,
restarts the machine after a suitable warning and delay? Something like:
a minute prior to a scheduled recording, attempt a 2 second recording
and then check the file size. If >0, OK else power cycle the unit. I
have no idea how to actually do this; nor do I know whether it is
possible to trigger a power cycle or reset of the HD-PVR via
instructions over the USB cable. I just got to thinking about this
because I've used firewire for four years with excellent results, and if
I recall, the firewire capture code includes a priming script that makes
sure a solid connection is established, and I thought something similar
might be possible with the HD-PVR.

Man, the HD-PVR makes me yearn, desperately, for the days of my firewire
STB...

--

Kind regards,

Martin