[mythtv-users] Help with the new theme download requirements for the git Master branch

John Nissley jnissley at nissley.org
Tue Dec 21 04:09:54 UTC 2010

* On Mon Dec 20, 2010 at 12:58:48PM -0600, John Nissley wrote:
>/  There seems to be a new method for getting non standard themes to be
/>/  available for a front end.  Before all I did is compile and they were
/>/  there.  now there is a theme chooser but every time a try to install one
/>/  of the themes I get an error about it not existing on the master backend.
/>/
/>/  Can someone please point me to documentation that can help me with this?
/
Look in the backend logs, it sounds like your master backend either
does not have access to the internet or the user running mythbackend
doesn't have write access under ~/.mythtv/

When the frontend goes to install a downloadable theme, the frontend
actually tells the backend to download the theme package from the
download site.  Then the frontend downloads the file from the backend.
It is done this way so that you don't have to re-download the theme
package multiple times to install it on multiple frontends.  Once the
master backend downloads the theme package once, it gets put in a
disk-based cache (using Qt's QNetworkDiskCache).  So if you install the
same theme on another frontend, that frontend gets the theme from the
cache on the master backend rather than having to download it from the
download site again.  The default size of the QNetworkDiskCache is
50 MegaBytes max, so under normal usage, the theme would still be in
the cache when you went around to your other frontends to instal the
theme.  There aren't a lot of places in the code using the
MythDownloadManager and QNetworkDiskCache currently, so the 50MB
default is enough for this usage scenario.

--
Chris Pinkham

Thank you for the response but I must be doing something wrong.  I checked
my master backend logs when I was trying to download one of the themes and
I did not see any activity in the logs related to downloading anything.
My backend is run as root and I do see that the arclight theme is in the
cache directory on my master backend but the frontends can not seem to get
the theme from the cache.  I do not see anything in the logs when I try to
download a theme.  The interesting thing is that I can do a refresh
downloadable themes and get all the themes to populate on the screen but
when I select one can not get it to download.  My master backend has access
to the internet because I can ping yahoo.com and get a response.