[mythtv-users] lirc working w/ irw, but not with myth

Jeremy Enos jenos at ncsa.illinois.edu
Mon Dec 20 12:35:17 UTC 2010

Finally moving forward from Fedora 7 Myth 22 this week, and it's been
unpleasant, mostly due to LIRC woes.  Subject basically gives the
status, but below are many more details.  It seems this problem symptom
is not all that uncommon, but has varying causes.  I've seen other
reports that were solved by things I already had correct.

OS: x86_64 FC14 with updates.
Mythtv 0.24-fixes
LIRC 0.8.7 custom build
mceusb ir receiver / Hauppauge 350 remote

The entire OS is a clean install, but I'm using the same DB and mythtv
homedir from previous installation, which was functioning.  So my
lircd.conf, and ~mythtv/.lircrc and ~mythtv/.mythtv/lircrc are unchanged
from working configuration with previous lirc 0.8.4 I think.

I've read a bit on the plans to move LIRC functionality into the kernel
and ultimately eliminate the need for the middle layer- kudos on the
effort.  It really needs better warnings for the pitfalls created during
the transition though.  WAF is really taking a nose dive over the hours
I've invested in this one.

irw is working as it should, now that I've built my own LIRC and
replaced the kernel modules with the custom built ones.  Interesting
that the kernel comes with a mceusb module, but FC14 distributed lirc
doesn't support mceusb.  One of the pitfalls of the merger.
Additionally, it took awhile to find this little gem to get the kernel
to pass raw info:

         echo none > /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
         echo +lirc > /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
I don't remember if that's necessary when using my own lirc_dev and
mceusb modules, but I've still got it in place anyway.

Where was I?  Oh- irw working, yes.  That should be an indication of
successful configuration of at least part of it.  I thought I was out of
the woods at this point.  But it doesn't have any impact on
mythfrontend.  All configuration files seem to be in place.   I can't
even find any way to tell if mythfrontend is even trying.  I have it set
to use /dev/lirc0 (which exists) in the General configuration.  For some
reason, this build of mythfrontend is also not generating any log (I
direct it to on the cmd line).  Should I expect the mythfrontend binary
to be linked to anything lirc?  I checked, it's not.  When I configured,
it reports "lirc support yes" though.

Some command output follows to show my configuration status.  I'll be
happy to provide anything else needed to get this resolved.  thanks-

     Jeremy

[mythtv at nas ~]$ pwd
/home/mythtv

[mythtv at nas ~]$ ldd `which mythfrontend` |grep -i lirc

[mythtv at nas ~]$ cat .Xclients
#!/bin/bash
function setup_X_params {
   # Turn off X screen saver
   xset s off
   # Turn off dpms (Energy star)
   xset -dpms
   # Setup the display environment
   export DISPLAY=:0.0
}
# Setup X parameters
setup_X_params
while [ 1 ]; do
   killall -9 irexec
   irexec -d
   mythfrontend -l /var/log/mfe.log
   sleep 5
done

[mythtv at nas ~]$ ls -l /var/log/mfe.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 mythtv mythtv 0 Dec 19 02:22 /var/log/mfe.log

[mythtv at nas ~]$ lsusb |grep Infra
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0471:0815 Philips (or NXP) eHome Infrared Receiver

[mythtv at nas ~]$ ls /dev/lirc0 -l
crw------- 1 root root 61, 0 Dec 18 07:30 /dev/lirc0

[mythtv at nas ~]$ mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg -e "select * from
settings" |grep LircSocket
Enter password:
LircSocket      /dev/lirc0      nas

[mythtv at nas ~]$ irw
0000000000001794 00 Up Hauppauge_350
0000000000001794 01 Up Hauppauge_350
0000000000001795 00 Down Hauppauge_350
0000000000001795 01 Down Hauppauge_350
^C

[mythtv at nas ~]$ rpm -q qt
qt-4.7.1-5.fc14.x86_64
[mythtv at nas ~]$ date
Sun Dec 19 04:19:29 CST 2010
[mythtv at nas ~]$ cat /etc/system-release
Fedora release 14 (Laughlin)
[mythtv at nas ~]$ uname -r
2.6.35.9-64.fc14.x86_64

[mythtv at nas mythtv]$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mythtv
--dvb-path=/usr/include --enable-vdpau --enable-proc-opt
# Basic Settings
Compile type              release
Compiler cache            symlink gcc
DistCC                    no
qmake                     /usr/bin/qmake-qt4
install prefix            /usr/local/mythtv
runtime prefix            /usr/local/mythtv
CPU                       x86 x86_64 (model name        : Intel(R)
Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E8200  @ 2.66GHz)
yasm                      yes
MMX enabled               yes
MMX2 enabled              yes
3DNow! enabled            yes
3DNow! extended enabled   yes
SSE enabled               yes
SSSE3 enabled             yes
CMOV enabled              yes

# Input Support
Joystick menu             yes
lirc support              yes
Video4Linux sup.          yes
ivtv support              yes
HD-PVR support            yes
FireWire support          no
DVB support               yes [/usr/include]
DVB-S2 support            yes
HDHomeRun support         yes
IPTV support              yes

# Sound Output Support
PulseAudio support        no
OSS support               yes
ALSA support              yes
JACK support              no
libfftw3 support          no

# Video Output Support
x11 support               yes
xrandr support            yes
xv support                yes
XvMC support              yes
XvMC VLD support          yes
XvMC libs                  -lXvMCW
VDPAU support             yes
CrystalHD support         no
OpenGL video              yes
OpenGL vsync              yes
DirectFB                  no
MHEG support              yes

# Misc Features
multi threaded libavcodec yes
Frontend                  yes
Backend                   yes

# Bindings
bindings_perl             yes
bindings_python           yes

Creating libs/libmythdb/mythconfig.h and libs/libmythdb/mythconfig.mak

WARNING: When using --enable-proc-opt you must include the
          output of ./configure along with any bug report.

libs/libmythdb/mythconfig.h is unchanged
external/FFmpeg/libavutil/avconfig.h is unchanged
[mythtv at nas mythtv]$