[mythtv-users] Hardware Suggestion for under $1,000

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Dec 17 19:14:05 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 01:24:47PM -0500, Steven Adeff wrote:
> [...]
[deletia]
> >> If you have to have the backend in your TV room, then you'll either
> >> want to find a good HTPC case that can hold the number of drives you
> >> will have (Silverstone Tek, etc), or go with a NAS to hold your
> >> drives, in another room where noise is not an issue. NAS can be
> >> expensive, and generally don't have the best transfer speeds.
> >
> > NAS doesn't have to be expensive, especially if you don't need really
> > fast speeds. I'm using an NSLU2 ("slug") with some attached USB drive
> > cases, and it works just great, and draws only 6 watts plus the drive
> > power (about 10 watts per drive). Even for multiple HD streams it's
> > plenty fast enough. The various "Plug" machines (Sheevaplug, Pogoplug
> > etc.) also do a good job of this.
>
> Very possible, though I've never seen wholly positive reviews for
> consumer level NAS', and the experience my friends that did bite have
> had have not been the most positive either.

    If you want beefy storage, perhaps an external JBOD chassis attached
to something like a Revo might work? Such units run not much more expensive
than a similar internal hot swap chassis. This is something that doesn't
have to be done in the initial build. You can add storage incrementally
later (as many of us have done).