[mythtv-users] Hardware Suggestion for under $1,000

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 18:24:47 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Thursday, December 16, 2010 11:36:52 am Steven Adeff wrote:
>> > - a bluray drive to play bluray discs
>>
>> BluRay support is minimal at best right now. If you have a BluRay
>> collection, as I do, stick with a standalone player until the
>> software gets better. If this is a "for future movie purchases"
>> thought, then well, either don't get into BluRay yet, or make a
>> dedicated player a separate purchase.
>
> Blu-Ray "playing" support is almost nonexistent, but you can rip BR
> disks fairly easily, and play the resulting files.
>
> I bought a Blu-Ray burner mainly for backup/archive purposes, you can fit
> a lot of video on a BR disk, and the prices for media are starting to
> come down.

Yes, but I don't think the money is well spent at this point as part
of his $1000 budget. The money can be better spent elsewhere on the
system and once he has things running nicely he can look at dropping
some more money on the whole BluRay thing.

>> If you have to have the backend in your TV room, then you'll either
>> want to find a good HTPC case that can hold the number of drives you
>> will have (Silverstone Tek, etc), or go with a NAS to hold your
>> drives, in another room where noise is not an issue. NAS can be
>> expensive, and generally don't have the best transfer speeds.
>
> NAS doesn't have to be expensive, especially if you don't need really
> fast speeds. I'm using an NSLU2 ("slug") with some attached USB drive
> cases, and it works just great, and draws only 6 watts plus the drive
> power (about 10 watts per drive). Even for multiple HD streams it's
> plenty fast enough. The various "Plug" machines (Sheevaplug, Pogoplug
> etc.) also do a good job of this.

Very possible, though I've never seen wholly positive reviews for
consumer level NAS', and the experience my friends that did bite have
had have not been the most positive either.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!