[mythtv-users] ease of [clear qam] channel scanning

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 16:28:32 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 8:19 AM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> Why can't MythTV's channel scanning be as simple as my TVs?  With my TV,
> I just tell it to channel scan and then go have a coffee and come back
> later to find all of the available channels.
>
> With Mythtv I have to know the difference between modulations.  How do I
> know any of that?  I don't, so instead I just go through them all hoping
> to find something.

Because your TV has to be concerned with one television standard.
Yours.  Myth has to be concerned with every television standard, some
of which overlap in various locales.

> And once something is found I get told "Found ... new non-conflicting
> SCTE channels" with options to Insert all, Insert manually, Ignore all.
> Why do I need to know what an SCTE channel is and have to decide what to
> do with it?  Ditto for "Found 4 new non-conflicting MPEG channels".

This part could be better.  We've opted not to rewrite the Qt-style
scanner interface in favor of the complete mythtv-setup rewrite, thus
until that is done, this is what you get.  (for free, I hasten to add)

> Can't this all be made as easy as my TV?

Easier, maybe, as easy as your TV, no.

I don't suppose this e-mail comes with any intention on your part to
actually work on scanner usability?  I hope that you don't think that
it just hasn't occurred to us that some part of myth, the scanner
included, are unintuitive or hard to use.  We're not just clueless
code drones who don't realize when something isn't easy, you know.

Robert