[mythtv-users] Problem playing last program before a channel stops broadcasting for the day (UK DVB-T)

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sun Dec 12 21:27:45 UTC 2010

On 12/12/10 20:25, John Veness wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the following problem on a UK DVB-T (Freeview) setup, which
> started when I upgraded to 0.24. I didn't have this problem in many
> months of 0.22. I only ran 0.23 for a couple of days so don't know if it
> occurred there.
>
> A few channels on Freeview are not broadcast 24-hours. For example, Five
> USA stops at 1am, and CBBC stops at 7pm. If I try to playback a
> recording of the final program on a channel, i.e. one that ends at 1am
> on Five USA or which ends at 7pm on CBBC, then the playback doesn't work.
>
> Specifically, what I see is a blank (black) screen and no audio. I can
> skip around the playback and press I and see an accurate progress bar,
> but see/hear no content.
>
> As far as I can tell, the programs are actually being recorded OK. I can
> play back the raw files with mplayer, for example. And if I watch one of
> the recordings while they are being recorded, they show fine. Something
> seems to be happening that is causing Myth to not play back these
> recordings when they are finished.
>
> Most of the affected recordings have been made since 0.24, but I have
> one recording that was made during the 0.22 days that is also exhibiting
> this problem. This same recording played fine in 0.22, but no longer
> plays in 0.24.
>
> On affected recordings, the preview picture is also blank (although grey
> rather than black). They also error if I try to do a lossless transcode
> on them.
>
> I record 3 minutes past the end of the scheduled time. I haven't yet
> tried to see what would happen if I stop exactly when the channel ends.
>
> Has anyone else seen this problem? Any suggestions for troubleshooting?
> Shall I report this as a bug?
>
> Cheers,
>
> John

I have seen the same thing; not recently, but that's probably because
nothing has been scheduled recently for end-of-service times. Since I
run virtually all my recordings through mythcutprojectx I just did that
- with no cutlist - and AFAIR they then played fine and could be edited
as normal.  It's certainly inconvenient, and that workaround would
probably not improve the WAF: I'm not sure it's a bug.

I also used to have difficulties when a recording started before
start-of-service -  BBC THREE and BBC FOUR both starting at 7pm - but
recently that doesn't seem to have been a problem either.

John P