[mythtv-users] Another lirc issue

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Dec 9 19:48:27 UTC 2010

On Dec 9, 2010, at 2:04 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
>>> Using a Harmony remote, don't think that matters.   Fedora 14.  Only the latest kernel, 2.6.35.9-64.fc14.x86_64, seems to break anything.  If I run irw I see about 60% of the keys on the remote don't register anything regardless of how many times I press them.  A portion of the ones that do, seem to take several presses.
>
> I've been running into similar problems on Debian.

Similar, but different, I believe.

> I'm using the
> 2.6.36 kernel packages in Debian's experimental repository with
> un-released 0.9.0-pre1 LIRC packages I compiled from the Debian
> maintainers' svn tree.  Testing with an mceusb receiver I've never
> used before, I found that key presses are extremely unreliable.  irw
> will report the correct button press about 75% of the time if I press
> them slowly (pausing about 1 second between presses), but it's not
> really usable as a remote like this.  I'm using the standard
> lircd.conf that ships with lirc for mceusb remotes.

The mceusb code in 2.6.36 has some known issues which it sounds
like you're hitting. They're thought to be fixed upstream now
though, and the Fedora 14 kernel Matt mentions carries code
that is rather close to current upstream. I'd suggest trying
the latest upstream v4l/dvb/rc bits.

This can be used to drop them in on top of your current kernel:

http://git.linuxtv.org/media_build.git

(I'm using that to run the current latest upstream bits on top
of a RHEL6 2.6.32-based kernel for my own myth boxes).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com