[mythtv-users] Interesting Reading: Windows Secrets reviews AppleTV and GoogleTV

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Dec 9 19:43:54 UTC 2010

On Dec 9, 2010, at 2:08 PM, Brian Wood wrote:

> On Thursday, December 09, 2010 11:53:28 am Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> On Dec 9, 2010, at 1:29 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
>>> Bad programming will not be helped by HD, and good programming does
>>> not need it, as you alluded.
>>
>> Have to disagree. Sharper detail, more vivid colors and much higher
>> quality sound can make good programming into GREAT programming, in
>> my experience. Does require that you have the equipment to fully
>> enjoy it though.
>
> I didn't say that good programming could not be made better by HD, just
> that it doesn't need it.

Sorry, must have lumped together "helped by HD" wrt to bad
programming with the good too.

> But crap is crap, no matter how many lines of resolution.

Well, yes and no. For example, CSI: Miami is something that
I consider to be crap programming. But its got some very cool
and visually appealing camera work and assorted shots (such
as the intro credits) that I don't mind watching when its
got more lines of resolution. :) But I'd not watch more than
~5 minutes worth of it, so point taken here.

However, mediocre programming is also helped by HD, potentially
enough that it tips the needle from something you'd pass on
watching to something you might actually watch.

> HD is not a bad thing, but dragging in "public safety" to get it
> mandated by the Congress is outrageous. Market forces alone should make
> a "good thing" popular, no deceit necessary.

No argument there. I note that I bought my first HDTV well in
advance of the government pulling that BS though. Now if only
the government could come up with some reason to force Verizon
FiOS to start carrying Fox Soccer Channel HD. I fear that
soccer may not be "American" enough a sport though... :D

> Funny how the people who decry "forcing" everyone to buy health
> insurance saw nothing wrong with this "forced" purchase.
>
> You could argue that TV is not a necessity, but it's close these days,
> and a small market TV licensee certainly needs it to stay in business.

Well, nobody's required by law to buy a tv, so it *is* a bit
different, legally speaking, and thus there's nothing that the
politicos at the far reaches of the spectrum can whip their
constituency into a frenzy over...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com