[mythtv-users] Interesting Reading: Windows Secrets reviews AppleTV and GoogleTV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 9 19:08:27 UTC 2010

On Thursday, December 09, 2010 11:53:28 am Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Dec 9, 2010, at 1:29 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> > Bad programming will not be helped by HD, and good programming does
> > not need it, as you alluded.
>
> Have to disagree. Sharper detail, more vivid colors and much higher
> quality sound can make good programming into GREAT programming, in
> my experience. Does require that you have the equipment to fully
> enjoy it though.

I didn't say that good programming could not be made better by HD, just
that it doesn't need it.

But crap is crap, no matter how many lines of resolution.

At the time digital TV was adopted in the US Japan had had it for almost
20 years, and less than 2% of the population had adopted it.

Of course economics figures into it, but I think the Japanese are among
the most gizmo-oriented people on earth, and were not clamoring for HD.

HD is not a bad thing, but dragging in "public safety" to get it
mandated by the Congress is outrageous. Market forces alone should make
a "good thing" popular, no deceit necessary.

Especially with cable and satellite, HD could have been implemented
without the government forcing small broadcasters and every homeowner to
pay more money to the media companies than they wanted to.

Funny how the people who decry "forcing" everyone to buy health
insurance saw nothing wrong with this "forced" purchase.

You could argue that TV is not a necessity, but it's close these days,
and a small market TV licensee certainly needs it to stay in business.