[mythtv-users] Options for Backing up Myth data

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Dec 9 16:16:59 UTC 2010

On 12/9/2010 10:03, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 08, 2010 08:56:35 pm Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> On 12/8/2010 22:30, Brian Wood wrote:
>>> On Wednesday, December 08, 2010 06:07:20 pm Dave Badia wrote:
>>> Or folks are using some other option
>> Flash drives are simply more convenient, and while smaller than
>> BD-Rs, still offer plenty of space for most people.  The fact that
>> they are read/writable on just about any computer also makes them
>> far more useful.
> Flash drives are OK for documents and photos, but they are pretty much
> useless for any significant amount of video, especially HD. The amount of
> data you can store on a flash drive is about what is practical to store
> online.

To be fair, bulk storage of HD video isn't something 'normal' people
generally have to concern themselves with.  Personally, the amount of
data you can store on a Bluray disk just isn't practical for bulk
storage.  For a couple home videos, it's fine.  If you intend to back up
your entire, multi-TB collection, there is a time component involved
that you're not considering.  With a hard drive or tape drive, you tell
it to copy, and you come back half a day and several TB later.  With
Bluray, you're going to have to keep coming back every 20-30 minutes to
swap disks, and you have to do that 80+ times to equal one large hard
drive.  My time is just worth more than that.