[mythtv-users] Options for Backing up Myth data

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 9 15:54:31 UTC 2010

On Thursday, December 09, 2010 08:37:29 am Greg Oliver wrote:

> I payed $80 for this burner last week.  Just have to grab them on
> sale:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136181

Yeah, I paid about $90 for the one I have now, which even reads HD-DVDs
(it may burn them as well, but I've never seen blanks of that format,
nor can I think of any reason to want them).

> And today, buy dot com has 25GB discs for <$1 (and they are well
> reviewed on Amazon)
>
> http://www.buy.com/prod/memorex-4x-bd-r-media-25gb-120mm-standard-2-x
> -15-pack-spindle/q/loc/101/219035936.html

Wow, thanks, I'll order now.

Of course for backups I like the re-writable media :-)

> Granted, at the same time I purchased (2) lightscribe DVD burners and
> 200 blanks for total $64  :)
>
> > Four years ago you could get a bare bones OEM DVD burner for
> > $40-$50, but "full featured" (ie: Lightscribe, mounting hardware,
> > software and retail packaging) units were closer to $90. Not that
> > those "features" were of much use to Myth users though.
> >
> > But I would expect some reduction in BR burner cost in the next
> > year or two.

> >> Flash drives are simply more convenient, and while smaller than
> >> BD-Rs, still offer plenty of space for most people.  The fact that
> >> they are read/writable on just about any computer also makes them
> >> far more useful.
> >
> > Flash drives are OK for documents and photos, but they are pretty
> > much useless for any significant amount of video, especially HD.
> > The amount of data you can store on a flash drive is about what is
> > practical to store online.
> >
> > But I'm just trying to find out what people are using, I'll put you
> > down as a vote for "flash drives" :-)
>
> I know that when I rsync to flash drives it can cripple the machine
> until complete if they are USB based.  The same device plugged into
> E-Sata behaves quite a bit better.

The Linux USB subsystem really does seem to chew up a lot of CPU, always
has and I haven't seen much if any improvement in the last few years.

Some of this might be the "nature of the beast", but the problem is
certainly not as noticeable with Windows, much as I hate to say that.