[mythtv-users] 3 audio devices on same time

Josu Lazkano josu.lazkano at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 02:30:46 UTC 2010

Hello, I am configuring my HTPC with MythTV 0.24.

I want to get 3 audio output at same time: HDMI, optical and analog. I
try with each one and it works well individually, but I need to manage
3 devices at same time.

This is my audio devices:

aplay -l
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC662 rev1 Digital [ALC662 rev1 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

aplay -L
null
default:CARD=NVidia
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
iec958:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    HDMI Audio Output

The HDMI is to send audio to the TV, the optical to the audio
amplifier and the analag one to send the audio to and other room.

Is possible to do this?

I must configure it on the frontend or on the .asoundrc file?

On XBMC I get it working with this file:

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "both"
}
}

pcm.both {
type route
slave {
pcm multi
channels 6
}
ttable.0.0 1.0
ttable.1.1 1.0
ttable.0.2 1.0
ttable.1.3 1.0
ttable.0.4 1.0
ttable.1.5 1.0
}

pcm.multi {
type multi
slaves.a {
pcm "tv"
channels 2
}
slaves.b {
pcm "receiver"
channels 2
}
slaves.c {
pcm "analog"
channels 2
}
bindings.0.slave a
bindings.0.channel 0
bindings.1.slave a
bindings.1.channel 1
bindings.2.slave b
bindings.2.channel 0
bindings.3.slave b
bindings.3.channel 1
bindings.4.slave c
bindings.4.channel 0
bindings.5.slave c
bindings.5.channel 1
}

pcm.tv {
type hw
card 0
device 3
channels 2
}

pcm.receiver {
type hw
card 0
device 1
channels 2
}

pcm.analog {
type hw
card 0
device 0
channels 2
}

Thanks for all your help and best regards.

--
Josu Lazkano