[mythtv-users] Backend crash. Do I have too few hard drives?

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Mon Dec 6 11:21:10 UTC 2010

On 06/12/2010 10:32, Andre wrote:

> On 6 Dec 2010, at 10:15, Paul Gardiner wrote:

>>> I do, also a HVR-4000 which is a HD-S2 with some extra bits.

>>> fw 1.26.90.0
>>
>> Ah right. Same here.
>>
>>> Driver was the v4l latest on 2010-09-03 revision 15139 if I'm reading the right thing from hg view!
>>> Should be fine with a current v4l though, probably in kernel drivers are fine too but they certainly were not in Ubuntu 9.10 so I wasn't taking any chances.
>>
>> modinfo cx24116 tells me:
>
> Ah, didn't think to try that for a version, doh!
>

>> filename: /lib/modules/2.6.34.7-0.5-desktop/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/frontends/cx24116.ko
>> license:        GPL
>> author:         Steven Toth
>> srcversion:     08166A1122785592C226036
>
> Exactly the same srcversion.
>

>> depends:
>> vermagic:       2.6.34.7-0.5-desktop SMP preempt mod_unload modversions 686
>
> This is different but I expect that's because yours is built for a newer kernel.
>
>> parm:           toneburst:DiSEqC toneburst 0=OFF, 1=TONE CACHE, 2=MESSAGE CACHE (default:1) (int)
>> parm:           esno_snr:int
>> parm:           debug:Activates frontend debugging (default:0) (int)
>>
>> Not sure what that tells me. Maybe I should build the latest from the
>> hg repository. linuxtv site mentions the driver being broken in
>> kernel 2.6.30, 2.6.31 and 2.6.32.
>
> I'm running 2.6.32 and can vouch for that, it works but not reliably no DVBT for the HVR-4000 and not at all with the latest firmware. There was some discussion on here about it and I ended up doing some testing which I think was for Ubuntu 10.10 alpha.

So the fact that mine does work most of the time, the failures I
do see don't require any resetting of the device and don't
involve log messages about the device, plus my having the
same srcversion as you, all point to that not being the
cause of my problem I'd guess. Although I have still
to try uping the latency from 32 to 64.

> So is the new (different) HDD making any difference?

Too early to say. No problems yet. It is exactly the same
model drive, so the only difference is I have it as a
single partition, rather than 2. I must remember in
the future to use a range of makes when I buy HDDs, so
that when problems occur I can use swapping as a way to
track the problem down.

Paul.