[mythtv-users] 2 TB Hard Drive Recommendations

mike at grounded.net mike at grounded.net
Mon Dec 6 02:24:00 UTC 2010

> I think the industry is trying to move faster than they are capable of.

That's probably very true. Kinda sad that practically every industry has started making it's buyers the beta testers of things they just hurry out the door. That's probably there are so many early adopters willing to buy though.

> Has anyone seen a reliability difference between parallel IDE and SATA?
> That's probably an unfair comparison though, since most newer ones are
> SATA.

In my case, I'd have to say yes, SATA being much more reliable. Up until a year ago or so, I still had 20 drive ATA rrays in production. All of the drives were 200GB ATA and they very regularly died. I've not seen one single SATA drive die on me other than the 1TB one I mentioned. Then again, the SATA drives I buy are array rated drives, I suppose that makes a difference.

>But I guess this is nothing new, remember Micropolis?

Wow, memory lane! That reminds me of the drives I was buying when I first got into computers, mid 80's. Those were parallel SCSI drives and didn't they store their config info on the platter too?