[mythtv-users] IPTV via Microsoft Mediaroom (Sasktel Max)--Hands on with new boxes(DATA CAPTURES)

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 18:44:02 UTC 2010

On 04/12/2010 3:50 AM, Eric Yanush wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was able to get some time tonight with a "new max" setup.
> My wife's parents got max installed this week, so I got some goodies that hopefully will shed some light on out situation.
>
> Backgroud:
> 	Tests were done in Melville, max launched about a month ago, no old windows ce embedded setup was ever available there.
> 	Box boot was done with only one box and my macbook connected to the gateway.
> 	Box's mac is 00:15:9A:BA:1D:4E
>
> I started by doing a wireshark capture of the box booting and tuning into two channels.
>
> I then reboot my laptop and setup my networking config the same way I have it setup in Regina currently, and tried to tune into  (with vlc) one the streams that I had captured on the first go around, with limited success.
> I was able to get a 10.***.*** ip assigned to the macbook, and vlc opened the stream but never played back anything. (no video at least, audio driver not installed in ubuntu). at the same time however I did do a wireshark capture of the attempt, as well as saved the stream that vlc was attempting to tune into, as a RAW dump.
>
> I have had no time as of yet to analyze any of the captures, and won't until the weekend is over and I am back in Regina, but I figured if anyone else has time and before tomorrow night has any other modifications or retests that maybe necessary  let me know.
>
> I have these files availible for anyone who wants to see them, in the hopes that we will find a solution to transision our current Myth setups running smoothly.
>
> Boot+channel tune sniff http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16213885/Mythtv-NewMax/mediaroomboot%2Bchanneltune
> vlc raw stream capture http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16213885/Mythtv-NewMax/Vlc_RAW_Data_Capture
> vlc tune-in packet sniff http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16213885/Mythtv-NewMax/Vlc_Test_sniff

On the one hand, yay! We have a nice stream capture to play with.

On the other hand, however, oh cr*p. VLC has difficulty playing this
back (No audio or video, and for some reason it jumps into the middle of
the stream before starting). It does identify the streams (H.264 Video,
and 2 AAC audio streams), so that, at least, is a good thing. Perhaps,
with a slightly longer capture, VLC could find a keyframe and start
decoding.

The other thing is, looking at the captures, the "Blank sections" system
seems to be in place. For example, in Frame 160 of the wireshark
capture, at 0x0275 to 0x0322, the stream is "FF FF FF". If that is a
MPEG frame break of some description, or some other kind of padding,
that's not a problem, but if there was supposed to be some stream data
in there, we're screwed.

Mencoder can't find the frame headers in the Vlc capture:

MEncoder Sherpya-MT-SVN-r31170-4.4.0 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team
success: format: 0  data: 0x0 - 0x4521d4
Seek failed
libavformat file format detected.
[mp2 @ 016fc960]Header missing
     Last message repeated 93 times
[mpeg @ 016ce8b0]Could not find codec parameters (Audio: mp1, 0
channels, s16)
[mpeg @ 016ce8b0]Could not find codec parameters (Video: 0x0000)
LAVF_header: av_find_stream_info() failed
============ Sorry, this file format is not recognized/supported
=============
=== If this file is an AVI, ASF or MPEG stream, please contact the
author! ===
Cannot open demuxer.

Exiting...

FFMpeg is much more verbose, though unfortunately not much more helpful:

C:\Users\Anaerin\Downloads>ffmpeg -i Vlc_RAW_Data_Capture help.avi
FFmpeg version SVN-r22716, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 the FFmpeg developers
   built on Mar 29 2010 06:09:18 with gcc 4.4.2
   configuration: --cross-prefix=x86_64-w64-mingw32-
--cc=ccache-x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc --extra-cflags='-Dstrtod=__strtod'
--arch=x86
_64 --target-os=mingw32 --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-avisynth
--enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-bzlib --enable-libgsm -
-enable-libfaad --enable-pthreads --enable-libvorbis --enable-libtheora
--enable-libspeex --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopenjpeg -
-enable-libxvid --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libx264
--enable-libopencore_amrwb --enable-libopencore_amrnb
   libavutil     50.13. 0 / 50.13. 0
   libavcodec    52.61. 0 / 52.61. 0
   libavformat   52.58. 0 / 52.58. 0
   libavdevice   52. 2. 0 / 52. 2. 0
   libswscale     0.10. 0 /  0.10. 0
[aac @ 00000000014DD030]channel element 3.5 is not allocated
[aac @ 00000000014DD6D0]Sample rate index in program config element does
not match the sample rate index configured by the container.
[aac @ 00000000014DD6D0]channel element 0.11 is not allocated
[aac @ 00000000014DD6D0]More than one AAC RDB per ADTS frame is not
implemented. Update your FFmpeg version to the newest one from SVN. If
the problem still occurs, it means that your file has a feature which
has not been implemented.
[aac @ 00000000014DD6D0]Error decoding AAC frame header.
[aac @ 00000000014DD030]More than one AAC RDB per ADTS frame is not
[aac @ 00000000014DD030]Error decoding AAC frame header.
[aac @ 00000000014DD6D0]Reserved bit set.
[aac @ 00000000014DD6D0]channel element 3.2 is not allocated
.
[aac @ 00000000014DD6D0]Number of bands (45) exceeds limit (39).
[aac @ 00000000014DD6D0]channel element 0.14 is not allocated
[aac @ 00000000014DD6D0]Predictor bit set but LTP is not implemented.
Update your FFmpeg version to the newest one from SVN. If the
problem still occurs, it means that your file has a feature which has
not been implemented.If you want to help, upload a sample of this file
to ftp://upload.ffmpeg.org/MPlayer/incoming/ and contact the
ffmpeg-devel mailing list.
[aac @ 00000000014DD6D0]channel element 1.13 is not allocated
[aac @ 00000000014DD6D0]channel element 2.14 is not allocated
[aac @ 00000000014DD6D0]SBR was found before the first channel element.
[aac @ 00000000014DD6D0]Sample rate index in program config element does
not match the sample rate index configured by the container.
[aac @ 00000000014DD6D0]Not evaluating a further program_config_element
as this construct is dubious at best.
[aac @ 00000000014DD6D0]channel element 1.14 is not allocated
[aac @ 00000000014DD6D0]channel element 2.4 is not allocated
[aac @ 00000000014DD6D0]channel element 3.11 is not allocated
[aac @ 00000000014DD6D0]channel element 0.1 is not allocated
[aac @ 00000000014DD6D0]Number of bands (20) exceeds limit (15).
[aac @ 00000000014DD6D0]More than one AAC RDB per ADTS frame is not
implemented. Update your FFmpeg version to the newest one from S
VN. If the problem still occurs, it means that your file has a feature
which has not been implemented.
[aac @ 00000000014DD6D0]Error decoding AAC frame header.
[aac @ 00000000014DD6D0]Sample rate index in program config element does
not match the sample rate index configured by the container.
[aac @ 00000000014DD6D0]Not evaluating a further program_config_element
as this construct is dubious at best.
[aac @ 00000000014DD6D0]Transition from an ONLY_LONG or LONG_STOP to an
EIGHT_SHORT sequence detected. If you heard an audible artif
act, please submit the sample to the FFmpeg developers.
     Last message repeated 1 times
[h264 @ 00000000015215F0]sps_id out of range
[h264 @ 00000000015215F0]missing picture in access unit
[h264 @ 00000000015215F0]sps_id out of range
[h264 @ 00000000015215F0]no frame!
[h264 @ 00000000015215F0]missing picture in access unit
     Last message repeated 2 times
[mpegts @ 00000000014D9FD0]Could not find codec parameters (Video: h264)
[mpegts @ 00000000014D9FD0]Could not find codec parameters (Data: 0x0000)
[NULL @ 00000000038D5530]start time is not set in
av_estimate_timings_from_pts

Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate:
180000.00 (180000/1) -> 90000.00 (180000/2)
Input #0, mpegts, from 'Vlc_RAW_Data_Capture':
   Duration: 00:00:16.66, start: 49887.993844, bitrate: 2174 kb/s
   Program 1
     Stream #0.0[0x10a]: Video: h264, 90k tbr, 90k tbn, 180k tbc
     Stream #0.1[0x10b]: Audio: aac, 44100 Hz, 5.1, s16, 270 kb/s
     Stream #0.2[0x10c]: Audio: aac, 12000 Hz, 5.1, s16, 166 kb/s
   No Program
     Stream #0.3[0x1fe0]: Data: 0x0000
picture size invalid (0x0)
Cannot allocate temp picture, check pix fmt

 From the bitrate errors, it seems they're using a VBR (Or ABR) stream
in a fixed bitrate container, which makes it more likely that the FF
parts are padding (And means there isn't encryption on here, which is
very helpful). It seems, though, that FFMpeg (at least this version)
doesn't support multiple audio streams. It also seems as though FFMpeg
can't find the image in this stream, and the picture size of the video
is not defined.

I'll keep digging a little deeper and see what else I can turn up, but
this seems to be an oddly-constructed stream.