[mythtv-users] Flash, VDPAU, MythNetVision and You

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sat Dec 4 03:08:37 UTC 2010

On Dec 3, 2010, at 5:44 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I assume I will have to go outside ubuntu's packaging system, remove
>> something and replace it with some sort of manual install of the
>> plugin?
>
> It sounds like it's hardly worth the bother right now, given the lack
> of supported content available.  Probably by the time there is
> something to watch which actually supports this, you can probably just
> upgrade to Ubuntu 11.4 and get a supported package.
>
> I'm a little disappointed they went with VDPAU before xv.

I'm not. In fact, this is the first time I've ever actually been
impressed by a flash release.

> For the
> bitrates of most flash video found on the web, xv should be able to
> handle it just fine, and would do so on far more hardware.

Xv support gets you what? Colorspace conversion? Zero aid for decode,
which is where the largest burden is. An ion box can hardly play a
360p (or whatever it is) youtube video. And I'm reasonably certain
the endgame here is Linux support for various streaming television
services like hulu, espn360, any of the major networks online video,
and so on, which usually do provide bitrates and resolutions a lot
higher than most of the other crap on the web. VDPAU is the most bang
for their buck right now.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com