[mythtv-users] Not impressed with the iMON remote

Christian Szpilfogel chrisznews4 at rogers.com
Thu Dec 2 04:11:13 UTC 2010

On 29/11/2010 6:57 PM, Kevin Ross wrote:
> On 11/26/2010 01:46 PM, dave cunningham wrote:
>> In message <4CEFEFAB.3030207 at rogers.com>, Christian Szpilfogel wrote
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> I use an Harmony 880 on one system and an 890 with RF to an IR
>>> transmitter on a second system.
>>>
>>> The 880 still needs line of site to the iMon receiver unlike some
>>> other IR devices I have which seem to be able to receive reflections
>>> (less finicky). It is a bit of a pain for me as the unit is below
>>> table level and I sometimes have family walking in front me when I'm
>>> trying to shut stuff down.
>>>

>> Thanks, looks like a cheap harmony's not going to be any good then :(
>>
>> With the 890 + RF receiver can you power on via the remote or does
>> the RF unit need the PC switched on (power/driver) to function?
>>

> You can use an IR repeater with any remote you choose.  I use this:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Link-Remote-Control-Booster-System/dp/B00023JJV6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1291074657&sr=8-1
>

> The receiver is *very* sensitive.  I actually have the receiver taped
> *behind* my LCD TV, completely out of site.  I just point my remote in
> virtually any direction (almost any direction, 180 degrees away won't
> work) and it picks it up.
I have not used this one but I have used similar (more expensive brands)
and the issue I had was that I would get interference from either the
plasma TV or sunlight through the windows. This was for a TV in the
master bedroom. That's a key reason I went RF to an IR blaster. The nice
side effect was less wires and an omni directional remote.

You have clearly had good success with this IR repeater too so perhaps
it is not as susceptible to the issues I had.