[mythtv-users] Issues with serial port

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 26 14:08:49 UTC 2010

On 8/25/2010 11:15 PM, Gabe Rubin wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I am trying to change channels on my DCT-2200 series box using the
> channel changer script in contrib.  Problem is, I don't my computer
> recognizes my serial port.  The motherboard I purchased does not have
> one so I purchased a PCI add on card that has two USB ports and a
> serial port.  How do I get my computer to recognize the serial port?
>
> Evidence that it is not recognizing it:
>   channel -v 5
> channel: /dev/ttyS0: Input/output error

Two things:
Odds are that it's being setup up as a usb serial interface.
/dev/ttyusbx, where x is some number 0 or greater.

If that's not the case, it might be cheaper to get an external
usb->serial converter as the comm to the converter is an actual serial
stream as opposed to say an infrared pickup that's actually uses bit
banging.