[mythtv-users] Superserver

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 22:00:10 UTC 2010

If it is a dedicated frontend and you only have standard def avi
files; i.e. most is mpeg2 or h264.

I have a zotac-ion-a board in a M350 case running off a sata to
compactflash adapter with a 400x 16gb compact flash card.

It works well as a dedicated frontend. I have little HD material
(FreeSat in the UK). I have lots of DVDs transcoded to mkv/h.264/AC1
using handbrake and all this works fine.

The mythtv menus are a little sluggish compared to my backend (Intel
Q6600 with Nvidia 8500GT) and the OSD coming in an out causes playback
to stutter very briefly on HD material.

I find that my collection of older SD AVI files does cause the CPU to
get to about 60% (its the dual core) but normal SD MPEG2 and HD h264
causes cpu usage around 4%.

I control it with a PS3 remote control; it works well.

Unless it isnt going to be a dedicated frontend I cant see why you
wouldnt choose atom/ion system