[mythtv-users] Superserver

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Aug 24 18:54:14 UTC 2010

  On 8/24/2010 14:34, Mark Hutchinson wrote:
> Uses also include a NoMachine server for Family use.
>
> I am thinking that I would like to use VMware or VirtualMachine but
> that causes problems.
> Does anyone have any ideas for how to combine some or all of this?

You don't want to try to run a frontend using any of these.  They just
aren't designed to handle video.

> A frontend dedicated just for a Nvidia 210 forf HDMI for each TV seems
> wastefull.

Sure, but it's ideal.  If you suspend or power them down, they will
consume next to no power.  While you /can/ run multiple X servers on a
single machine, you're going to have to give them each their own
dedicated video card.  The drivers aren't designed to be run otherwise.
You're also going to run into problems with inputs, and differentiating
between what IR receiver goes to what TV.

> The MythBackend could also be a frontend, but that is only one gone.

This is do-able, but a backend like you described is going to be loud
and noisy, or you're going to spend a lot of effort trying to dampen
it.  I wouldn't advise this unless you've got a wall between you and the TV.