[mythtv-users] Channels not resorted in EPG after changing them

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Aug 23 18:39:15 UTC 2010

  On 08/23/2010 02:14 PM, David Lasker wrote:

> I am running mythbuntu 0.23/ubuntu 10.04.
>
> My EPG is sorted by channel number. I have two input sources, one for
> analog (via IR-controlled cable box), and the 2^nd for QAM-256.
>
> I want to move the secondary QAM channels (i.e. 7-2, 9-3) to the
> beginning of the EPG so I don’t have to scroll through them to see all
> the major network channels. So I changed their channel numbers to
> start with “0-“, i.e. 0-7-2, 0-9-3. After doing this, the channels
> sort correctly in mythweb, but they remain in their original positions
> in the EPG, i.e. 0-7-2 remains immediately after 7-1.
>
> I tried editing the channels both with mythweb and the mythbackend
> setup channel editor, and got the same results both ways.
>
> I ran mythfilldatabase as is done automatically when mythbackend setup
> exits.
>
> Does mythfilldatabase need to be run with some specific parameters to
> get the EPG sorted correctly? Or is there something else I need to do?
>
> Thanks for the help!

TTBOMK, sorting by channel number in mythfrontend is done using a
numeric sort order (not an alphabetical sort order) on the channel
number (for channels like 35) or on the major and minor channel numbers
(for channels like 7-1). It does not expect a 3rd section (2 separators).

You can just take all the ones you don't care about and add 999 to their
major numbers or something (like 9997_2).

Or, better, just use channel groups to make it so the ones you don't
usually care about aren't part of your Favorites or whatever group.

Mike