[mythtv-users] Advice needed on how to get etherwake and WiFi to play nice (Mythbuntu 10.04)

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 23:47:05 UTC 2010

I have a combination BE/FE and a remote FE running Mythbuntu 10.04.
The FE is out of reach of wired ethernet, so I'm working with an
atheros-based wifi card.

Everything else seems to work fine (now that I gave up blocking SSID
broadcasting), except one thing...

If I have wired ethernet hooked up and recognized and then disconnect
it, I can get etherwake to work over the wifi connection, but... If
wired ethernet has not been connected and activated since bootup, then
attempts to wake up the BE/FE with etherwake from the remote FE do not
work.  I can ssh, and browse the internet, but I cannot force the
BE/FE to wake up. Once the wired ethernet gets plugged in, recognized,
disconnected, and reported down again, it will work.

Any clue as to what is going on would be appreciated.  Even more would
be hints on how to fix it.

Craig.