[mythtv-users] Combined Atom FE/BE /w GT220 ?

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 14:27:42 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 6:39 AM, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:
> On 19/08/2010 12:29, Steve Anthony wrote:
>>
>> My primary system which is a Zotac ION board, the Audio gives me allot
>> of issues.. It'll be working fine for weeks then all of a sudden the
>> sound, using SPDIF output, to my receiver or even if I use the HDMI
>> output, gets real choppy.  Not sure why that happens.
>
> I too have audio problems with a Zotac ION board. It's mostly ok for TV,
> but unusuable for music because of distortion. Tracks start off fine,
> but as soon as any bass comes in, I can hear distortion from clipping.
> I know it isn't elsewhere in my setup because the distortion is
> independent of the volume setting on my AV Receiver, and is also present
> if I connect the ION directly to the TV.
>
> I've had a few problem with other boards, but I hoped that I'd be free
> from problems with an ION board because it's one of the most commonly
> used for MythTv.
>
> I guess it could be a config problem, but I'm using Minimyth, so that's
> all done for me.
>
> And while on problems with ION boards, on the video side I get this:
> http://unlock.glidos.net/tmp/MythCorruption.jpg
> Anyone else see this problem with the bottom line? I still haven't
> managed to find out if anyone else has the same problem, so it could
> be a faulty board.

I had one tv in my house that wast that way as well.  It was NBC
Dallas on SD content they upscale for broadcast IIRC, it always had a
5-10 pixel row of what I assumed to be the CC data from the SD
broadcast that was visible.  This was a DirecTV re-broadcast.  There
was an overscan setting on the plasma that fixed it right up (in both
Mythtv and DirecTV)..  I never saw it happen on HD broadcasts, or any
other channels for that matter..

I only ever have audio issues on my IONS when I forget to apply my asoundrc..

pcm.51to2 {
  type route
  slave {
    pcm "plughw:0,3"
    channels 2
  }
  ttable {
    0.0= 1
    2.0= 1
    4.0= 1
    5.0= 1
    1.1= 1
    3.1= 1
    4.1= 1
    5.1= 1
  }
}

That downmixes everything to stereo for my TVs..  I have never had
popping though..  Supposedly, JYA is making some changes in .24 that
will be faster than using this .aoundrc - can't wait  :)   Every once
in a while with this, I have to adjust the audio sync by 30-100ms..

-Greg