[mythtv-users] Issues with 2 video cards on Slimline 2030n/Ubuntu 10.04

Clay ctmythtv at pacbell.net
Wed Aug 18 21:29:17 UTC 2010

Jessica Perry Hekman wrote:

> Current issue is that the screen on TV-out is the wrong size, so I can't
> see the edges of it -- importantly, I can't see the Ubuntu toolbar on
> the bottom of the screen, so I can't start programs (like Myth!) from
> the start menu. Googling tells me that this is a problem lots of people
> have with nvidia cards + tv-out and no solution has been found. I can
> work around it, but if anyone here has solved it, I would love to know
> how.
>
> Jessica

It's an overscan thing...
Rumor is, current nvidia drivers support adjusting overscan. I haven't
tried it (if it's fixed, don't break it) so I dunno.
iirc, the overscan is so bad can't even see the whole nvidia-settings
GUI to play with it on the frontend.

I work around it by running myth in a window on the frontend. Tedious to
get it to fit right since the screen wizard never worked for me.
Then I vnc into the frontend to do whatever.
The screen fits the vnc window and menu bars are accessible.