[mythtv-users] HD Homerun Prime with MythTV

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 19:36:14 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 12:29 PM, lists.md301 <lists.md301 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Robert (and Raymond)!  I did a brief scan of patch/diff from the
> 0.24 ticket for the HDHR lib update, and I see that a  virtual channel tune
> function has been added.  The 0.24 features list on the wiki just lists the
> lib sync--there is no mention yet that Prime capability will be included as
> a result.  I've wondered how Prime would interface with the virtual channel
> map (assigning the familiar 3 or 4 digit channel number to a QAM
> transport/program slot), fearing that it might be behind a DRM wall.  Will
> myth be issuing virtual channel tune requests, similar to how a STB is
> tuned?  If that's true, then from an end user perspective, as long as my
> channel numbers are up-to-date from SchedulesDirect, using a Prime should be
> seemless, just like a STB, but without any anxiety over a flaky firewire
> connection.  (Although personally, mine has been pretty solid connected to a
> Motorola 6200. I did have one issue upgrading my (Gentoo) kernel recently to
> 2.6.31 (from 2.6.19), with a memory allocation failure on some channel
> changes, but after a little research I believe that was a kernel firewire
> stack bug (old stack, not juju) memory leak.  Upgrading again to 2.6.32
> seems to have resolved it, but time will tell.)

 The Prime will tune by virtual channel, and will allow "fetch channels from
listings source" as a means to avoid scanning at all.  This is basically all
that was necessary short term to make the Prime work.  longer term (but
still probably pre-.24) we spoke with the HDHR guys about offering a
capabilities API to detect whether a given HDHR was CC-capable, and indeed
whether that HDHR has a cablecard installed, so that we can activate or
disable those UI functions as necessary.  That's what we're still waiting
on.  But from a baseline *functional* level, the HDHR prime would work right
now.

As far as how the channel changing will work, it will be basically
transparent to the user (and indeed, to myth itself)... it'll just tell the
HDHR "give me this channel" and the HDHR will stream it as ever.  The only
difference will be that on the HDHR Prime, the request will be for a logical
channel number.

Anyhoo, should be fun regardless.  We MythTV devs were wondering if the
Silicondust guys would shortcut us to the front of the line for being such
awesome people. ;)

Robert