[mythtv-users] HD Homerun Prime with MythTV

lists.md301 lists.md301 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 19:29:27 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 1:14 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 10:05 AM, lists.md301 <lists.md301 at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>>> Since Silicon Dust uses MythTV internally, will this capability make it
>> onto the public release roadmap?  Personally I care, as I'm one of the lucky
>> ones where my Comcast system has all of my digital tier flagged Copy Freely
>> (I don't subscribe to any Premiums, which I presume are locked down), which
>> I can get through STB firewire.  I'll mention here that I've heard they are
>> flagged Free for compatibility with Tivo's capability, since they have some
>> kind of working relationship with Comcast, but haven't found anything
>> definitely authoritative to confirm this.  The implementation can vary
>> greatly by your particular head end-YMMV.
>>

> Trunk's libmythhdhomerun already includes the code required to interface
> with the HDHomeRun Prime.  We've discussed some setup improvements that
> would help users configure the unit better and they are preparing a patch to
> make a few small tweaks to benefit Prime owners.  We will probably need one
> more lib resync with them but they are aware of our release timeline and
> expect to provide a patch in time for .24.
>
> Robert

Thanks Robert (and Raymond)!  I did a brief scan of patch/diff from the 0.24
ticket for the HDHR lib update, and I see that a  virtual channel tune
function has been added.  The 0.24 features list on the wiki just lists the
lib sync--there is no mention yet that Prime capability will be included as
a result.  I've wondered how Prime would interface with the virtual channel
map (assigning the familiar 3 or 4 digit channel number to a QAM
transport/program slot), fearing that it might be behind a DRM wall.  Will
myth be issuing virtual channel tune requests, similar to how a STB is
tuned?  If that's true, then from an end user perspective, as long as my
channel numbers are up-to-date from SchedulesDirect, using a Prime should be
seemless, just like a STB, but without any anxiety over a flaky firewire
connection.  (Although personally, mine has been pretty solid connected to a
Motorola 6200. I did have one issue upgrading my (Gentoo) kernel recently to
2.6.31 (from 2.6.19), with a memory allocation failure on some channel
changes, but after a little research I believe that was a kernel firewire
stack bug (old stack, not juju) memory leak.  Upgrading again to 2.6.32
seems to have resolved it, but time will tell.)