[mythtv-users] Combo HD Frontend/Backend/Virtual Machine

Matt Mythtv matt_mythtv at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 15 14:49:58 UTC 2010

Hi

I'm looking to replace my current SD frontend/backend combo with a new
frontend/backend combo that can handle HD.

While I'm at it, I'm wondering if I can get a machine fast enough to also run
Windows under a virtual machine. This will eliminate an old computer I have just
to run a few Windows only apps.

I've seen some good prices around for an Athlon II X4 635 (2.9GHz Quad Core,
512kb L2 Cache, 0MB L3 Cache). Would this be fast enough for HD (either 1080i or
1080p)? Would there be anything left over to run a VM?

Or is trying to run HD video and a separate VM on the same machine more trouble
than it is worth?

Thanks