[mythtv-users] Is it a good time to upgrade from Mythbuntu 9.10 to 10.xx?

David Brieck Jr. dbrieck at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 18:43:43 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:
> Just did mine last night.  Nothing alarming to report.
>
> Of course, I didn't really gain anything either.  I was already running the
> latest from the .23 fixes PPA, so nothing in myth changed.
>
> So, if you have no reason to upgrade... then your doing it because your
> bored and really don't mind if something breaks... at least that's my
> excuse.  I think the wife would have strangled me if I had broken something
> though... so upgrading was a pretty stupid thing to do in my case.  But at
> least the upgrade was flawless.
>
> Joe
>
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 1:55 PM, <mythtv at derdev.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have my BE and two FEs configured, working, and all happy on Mythbuntu
>> 9.10 and  2:0.23.0+fixes25595.  I'm terrified at the prospect of allowing
>> the upgrade to Mythbuntu 10.xx to occur at the risk of messing it all up.
>>
>> I've seen some traffic over the last few months about stuff breaking,
>> wanted to make sure I am forewarned.
>>
>> I don't use HD-PVR (yet).  Just IguanaIR+STBs, VDPAU, schedules direct.
>>
>> Aside from as much backing up as I can stand (DB and OS), any tips or
>> gotchas to worry about?
>>
>> TIA!

I think now is as good a time as any. Given the 6 month release cycle
for Ubuntu and the accelerated release schedule for MythTV, I wouldn't
want to get too far behind on OS updates.

About two months ago I migrated to 10.04 from 8.04 and let me tell
you, I don't want to get that far behind again. Now that I've got a
nice clean system I'll be able to keep up with dist-upgrades without
much fuss.