[mythtv-users] How does mythconverg.program.videoprop get populated in the UK?

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 10 15:03:08 UTC 2010

On 10 August 2010 15:18, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10 August 2010 08:19, Another Sillyname <anothersname at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Guys
>>
>> I'm trying to write a script that handles HD transcoding better and
>> also retains AC3 audio intact.
>>
>> While doing this I've identified that within the script I want to use
>> the mythconverg.program.videoprop field which usually should contain
>> the HDTV value to represent whether a program is transmitted in HD or
>> not.
>>
>> In the UK on Freesat we currently have 4 'real' channels:-
>>
>> BBC HD - Channel 10940
>> ITV HD - Channel 8000
>> STV HD - Channel 7855
>> Granada HD - Channel 7851
>>
>> While BBC HD and Granada HD are populating the videoprop correctly
>> with the HDTV value, ITV HD and STV HD are only populating the field
>> with WIDESCREEN.  This is causing my script to not execute the way I
>> would wish.
>>
>> Could someone please let me know is the videoprop field populated from
>> EIT data (as I suspect) or does it come from another source?  In other
>> countries does the videoprop field get populated correctly or is it
>> inconsistent?  (If it's inconsistent I'll have to write more into the
>> script to try to detect all instances of a HD transmission).
>
> In addition to Nick R's very useful info, I think the following still
> applies to how the listings are used to populate this information:
>
> If using EIT data, the video details (HDTV, WS) are extracted from the
> EIT data (usually the end of the description field) using one or more
> regexes before the data hits the database. If the regex is not
> matching different variations in how the data is provided, or if the
> data is not present for all channels, MythTV will not be able to
> provide it in the manner.
>
> If using XMLTV, the data is present in the XML listings if either
> specifically made available from the RT, or if the grabber itself
> populates the data "somewhat intelligently" based on channel metadata
> used by the grabber.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick
>
> --
> Nick Morrott
>
> MythTV Official wiki: http://mythtv.org/wiki/

Thanks Nick M

Is there anyone in the States, Aus, NZ and anywhere else with HD
transmission who could do a quick bit of testing for me please.

I've written a script that will identify if the recording is HD prior
to doing the transcode, it's now working fine for all the UK channels
but I could do with some 'quick and dirty' testing in other areas.  I
currently want to test just the detection of HD transmission for
different areas.

You'll need a couple of HD recordings mixed with normal SD recordings
on your machine to see if the detection is working.

It's a bash script and requires mysql client, mencoder, ffmpeg,
mplayer and mkvmerge to be installed on the workstation running it.

Thanks

Anthony