[mythtv-users] Plans for front & back end Myth boxes

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Aug 8 22:23:07 UTC 2010

On Sunday, August 08, 2010 04:05:15 pm Tortise wrote:
> [...]

I agree, the Revo is not for you if you need S-Video or composite out. Both of those are limited to standard definition, so
you may be able to use that 5200 card I believe you said you had, with the same caveats about the connector as mentioned
above.

It's funny, the 5200 was the "Gold Standard" of video cards for Myth for a long time, but its inability to handle HD has
made it a dinosaur. XVmC allowed under-powered computers to decode video,  but XVmC has pretty much been supplanted by
VDPAU.

Getting an 8xxx or 9xxx video card would mean you could move to HD should you replace your set.

If you think you may be upgrading your TV set in the foreseeable future, then you probably don't want to spend money on
something that can only handle SD, but if you have it already and.or can re-purpose something you have, the above advice
is sound.

> Aesthetics and quietness add cost.....

Small, Quiet, Cheap, pick any 2.