[mythtv-users] Output to h.264

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Aug 5 21:33:05 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 4:24 PM, mike at grounded.net <mike at grounded.net> wrote:
> As I mentioned in another reply, since most of the work is being done on the PCI card, that the server itself tends not to require immense amounts of horsepower. Would this not be the case for a backend server?

For digital cards, it's not the case that "most of the work is being
done on the PCI card", but rather that there just isn't much work to
do.  The video is already encoded when it arrives.

If you're happy with the encoding in the form it arrives in, then
there's not much work for the backend to do and an 850MHz system with
256MB of ram could do the job.  On the other hand, if you want to
transcode the video or do commercial flagging, you would benefit from
having a faster system.

Eric