[mythtv-users] First myth deleted most of my recordings, then it deleted all and all schedules.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Aug 3 05:37:25 UTC 2010

  On 08/03/2010 01:24 AM, Jon Whitear wrote:
>>> Ugh. You're right. The auth got messed up in some upgrade.
>> Tonight I scanned my logfiles and found two IP addresses in Germany
>> going after my MythTV. I restored the htdigest file and sent an abuse
>> email to the registrant of the IP addresses (both were from the same
>> ISP).
>>
>> Thanks again.
> That's a hard way to learn that lesson, unfortunately. I don't think you could really argue that it was abuse - as far as I recall there have been incidents of Google's spider deleting recordings, because all it's doing is following links.

Actually, that shouldn't ever happen with current MythWeb (0.23-fixes
and above, at least) for 2 reasons:  a) they won't be able to get the
program information for "disconnected" requests without JavaScript and
b) MythWeb detects bots crawling the site and goes into a lockdown mode
for 24 hours.  (AFAIU, at least.)

So, if it were a (proper) spider/bot (at least one that announced itself
as such or didn't attempt to look like a "normal" browser), it wouldn't
have caused the problem.  Therefore, I'd assume it's actually some
miscreant up to no good.

Sorry you lost all your recordings, but as some might say...
http://www.despair.com/mis24x30prin.html  ;)  I hope they do a lot of
reruns for you this summer.

Mike