[mythtv-users] video formats

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Aug 1 13:00:18 UTC 2010

On Saturday, July 31, 2010 12:42:09 am Alan Murrell wrote:
> On 07/29/2010 05:04 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> > I confess I haven't been following this thread, but I just use handbrake
> > to rip the main title from a DVD to an h264- encoded MKV file, it even
> > gets the chapters right.
> >
> > Did I miss some problem with doing that?
>
> Handbrake has been known to have issues with some newer DVDs, or at
> least it did up to around Xmas or so; I haven't really followed up on
> that.  "The Dark Knight" was one notable "problem" DVD.

So I had heard, but the "problem" has never effected me, probably because I am rarely interested in recent movie releases,
most of them seem to be (bad) re-makes or sequels, or genres that don't interest me.

From what I've read, these  "problem" disks use the menu to jump around in ways that Handbrake can't follow, and/or have
many "false" tracks that are also hard to follow, but, as I said, I've not encountered any of these "problem" disks.