[mythtv-users] Wishlist - Allow mythfrontend to suspend

Chris Adams rocket at extremelan.net
Wed Apr 28 23:50:07 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 3:36 AM, Dale Pontius <DEPontius at edgehp.net> wrote:
> I've been building my mythappliance, a frontend machine.  Part of being
> an appliance and not a computer is rapid start, and I have all of that
> working - even from the remote.
>
> Out of ignorance, I first began suspending the machine by script, while
> mythfrontend was active.  Some of the time that worked, sometimes it
> didn't.  With a little hindsight, it's rather obvious that the
> connections to the backend machine get dropped during a long suspend.
> So now I kill mythfrontend prior to suspending, and restart after.  It
> works, but it does take mythfrontend a visible amount of time to start up.
>
> So here's the wish:
>
> Give mythfrontend "suspend" and "wake" commands.  Basically "suspend"
> would leave the frontend resident and operating, but shut down the
> connections to the backend server.  During that interval, the OS could
> put the machine into suspend.  Conversely, "wake" simply reconnects to
> the backend server.
>
> Faster, more appliance-like.

Set the network interface's state to down before suspending.
mythfrontend detects a lost connection and pops up a "connection lost"
dialog box.

When you resume, clicking OK will attempt reconnection - either the
dialog disappears and myth begins working, or it pops up again. Nice
and simple for your users to understand.

I've even seen mythfrontend reconnect by itself after a backend
restart (but that might be because the backend advertised itself at
startup via bonjour or something.)