[mythtv-users] Wishlist - Allow mythfrontend to suspend

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Wed Apr 28 17:36:02 UTC 2010

I've been building my mythappliance, a frontend machine.  Part of being
an appliance and not a computer is rapid start, and I have all of that
working - even from the remote.

Out of ignorance, I first began suspending the machine by script, while
mythfrontend was active.  Some of the time that worked, sometimes it
didn't.  With a little hindsight, it's rather obvious that the
connections to the backend machine get dropped during a long suspend.
So now I kill mythfrontend prior to suspending, and restart after.  It
works, but it does take mythfrontend a visible amount of time to start up.

So here's the wish:

Give mythfrontend "suspend" and "wake" commands.  Basically "suspend"
would leave the frontend resident and operating, but shut down the
connections to the backend server.  During that interval, the OS could
put the machine into suspend.  Conversely, "wake" simply reconnects to
the backend server.

Faster, more appliance-like.

Thanks,
Dale Pontius