[mythtv-users] Failing to find Freesat channels

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Wed Apr 28 15:35:27 UTC 2010

On 28 Apr 2010, at 16:23, Ash Bostock wrote:

> [...]
>
> Freq: 10714000
> Polarity: h
> Symbol rate: 22000000
> FEC: 5/6
> Inversion: auto
>
> So I've tried using "scan" from the command line and I get a lot of this...
>
> Network Name 'ASTRA'
> tune to: 11973:v:0:27500
> DVB-S IF freq is 1373000
> 0x07de 0x1d39: pmt_pid 0x0121 BSkyB -- ITV1 HD (running, scrambled)
> 0x07de 0x1cfc: pmt_pid 0x0100 BSkyB -- Sony TV Asia (running, scrambled)
> 0x07de 0x1d06: pmt_pid 0x0102 BSkyB -- MAX (running, scrambled)
> 0x07de 0x1d1a: pmt_pid 0x011f BSkyB -- ITV1 Central S (running)
> 0x07de 0x1d1b: pmt_pid 0x011e BSkyB -- ITV1 Central E (running)
> 0x07de 0x1d38: pmt_pid 0x0120 BSkyB -- ITV1 HD (running, scrambled)
>
> Where the channels are found but listed as scrambled. The 1st frequency I tried is also listed but fails...
>
> tune to: 10714:h:0:22000 (tuning failed)
> DVB-S IF freq is 964000
> WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!
>
> Once "scan" has finished it does output a list of the channels it's found but none go the main ones,
> e.g. BBC 1, BBC 2, Channel 4, Channel 4, BBC HD, etc.... are not on there.
>
> Any one got any ideas what's wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> Ash
>

> On further investigation it would appear I'm only finding channels that are on the Astra 2B (http://www.lyngsat.com/astra2b.html) frequency list. None of which carry freesat which is on Astra 2D (http://www.lyngsat.com/astra2d.html).
>
> I know next to nothing about how dvb-s works, so could someone in the know explain whether this is simply just my sat dish pointing in the wrong direction? or is it a configuration option I need to change from with in myth to tell it to look at 2D instead of 2B.
>
> Thanks,
> Ash

> If you look at the footprint of the two satellites you will see that Astra 2D is highly focused on the UK whereas Astra 2B has a broader beam.
> http://www.ses-astra.com/business/en/support/media-library/Footprint-Graphics/Footprint-Graphics-28-2-East/astra-2D-north.php
> http://www.ses-astra.com/business/en/support/media-library/Footprint-Graphics/Footprint-Graphics-28-2-East/astra-2A-2B-south.php
>
> So your position, the size of your dish and correct/incorrect alignment of the dish may acount for you only getting channels from Astra 2B.
> Current mythv .23 shows the problesm as described, my old myth-trunk-15965 receives them without any troubles.
>

> Jens
>
> I've booked in a satellite guy to take a look tomorrow, so hopefully it's just an incorrect alignment issue.  The previous owners of my house used to get Sky ok, but it would seem those channels are all on Astra 2A and 2B, so I guess that would explain why it worked ok for them.

It's worth comparing Lyngsat with the channels you do get, I've had a couple of Nova S+ cards fail in the same way. The symptoms were a greatly reduced set of channels which seemed to be related to no pilot tone for the high frequency band (so nothing over 11.6Ghz) and a general loss of sensitivity, in my case that meant no Eurobird but with a slightly different dish alignment or your location it could behave differently.

Inability to tune Luxe HD was what made it show up, so as that happens very very infrequently I may have had the problem for some time!!

One S+ was fixed under warranty the other is being an IR receiver :-(

Do you have a regular sat receiver to try?