[mythtv-users] possible to set device priority for each channel?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Apr 25 16:41:17 UTC 2010

On 04/25/2010 12:20 PM, Andrew wrote:
> 1 - Happauge 1212 to STB
> 1 - HDHR with 2 tuners
> 1 - Firewire to STB for unencrypted (probably wont use much)
>
> Is it possible to set the device priority (and availability) for each
> channel?  For example, though the 1212 can record any channel I get
> (HD or not HD), but I would like for it to only record channels with
> encryption.  Everything else I want the HDHR to record.
>
> So channel 802 I want the HDHR to be first, then 1212 second since 802
> is not encrypted.  Secondly an encrypted channel like 870 I only want
> the 1212 to record and the HDHR not to even be available for that
> channel.  If the HDHR tries to record encrypted 870 it will fail.
>
> Another example; if the 1212 is watching live TV on 870, all the other
> encrypted channels should not be an option to change to in the guide
> because there are no more inputs available for encrypted channels (the
> 1212 is busy).

The best approach is to remove any channels you don't want your HD-PVR
to record from your HD-PVR's video source.

However, you can set priorities on the HD-PVR's channels--just note that
it doesn't really do what you want.  Read /all/ of section 12 of the
HOWTO for more information.  http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html

Also, the HDHR should have its inputs connected first so that it's
preferred.

Mike