[mythtv-users] StartEncoding failed

Dave Badia dbadia at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 16:15:00 UTC 2010

> modprobe -r ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner video
>
> yum remove `rpm -qa | grep ivtv | grep -v 'ivtv-firmware'`
>
> yum install video4linux video4linux-devel video4linux-kmdl (This stated
> that a version did not exist for my kernel)
>
> yum upgrade kernel
>
> yum install video4linux video4linux-devel video4linux-kmdl
>
> reboot to load new kernel
>
> If you didn't have to update your kernel the  modprobe ivtv command should
> get you working.
>
> Chris

Ok, so I need to do the same but on Gentoo and I'm not quite clear on the
steps.  If I understand this thread correctly, there are ivtv drivers in
both the ivtv and video4linux packages.  Historically people have used the
ivtv package version, but as of 0.22 the v4l package ivtv driver is
proper/necessary.

I understand about uninstalling the ivtv packages, but where does the "new"
v4l ivtv driver come from?  Is it included in recent kernels?  Do I just
enable the v4l ivtv in the kernel config and rebuild?

Thanks
Dave