[mythtv-users] Enabling multirec borks usability a bit.

Indulis Bernsteins indulis.b at au1.ibm.com
Fri Apr 23 08:18:10 UTC 2010

>> We still need to fix it so users never, ever, see IDs.

> No! Please don't do this! Not all my tuners are equivalent, or on the
same source, but some channels are available on several tuners.
> When a recording goes bad it is absolutely necessary that I be able to
associate the recording to the appropriate tuner/input to be able to debug
the problem.

I also vote for being able to easily see the info about which tuner was
used for a recording, and which physical adapter/USB thingy the tuner is
associated with.  I've  had to struggle getting a Pinnacle USB stick
working, when only one tuner seems to work (more tests running 2 this
weekend). Info about which tuner+adapter was used would have made my life
a lot easier.

And the jiggery-pokery in/out of mythtv-setup to get tuner devices in the
right order says to me that the tuner scheduling and interaction between
LiveTV and Recordings has not been updated to fully take account of
virtual tuners.  Most non-sysadmin types just want to put tuners in, set a
number of virtual tuners, and be done with it.  The LiveTV and Recordings
tuner allocation need to allocate in order as per the "manual setup"
process themselves, without the need for forcing device ordering.  The
manual tuner add process is an OK workaround but is definitely confusing
for most people (who would justifiably ask why the computer can't just do
it itself).

The virtual tuner stuff is new, so of course it is going to take a while
for Mythtv internal logic to catch up with it.

By the way, what is there is already fantastic, and unmatched in any
commercial PVR- AFAIK there is no commercial PVR that can record 8
programs using 2 tuners!

So thanks Mythtv devs for what you've done already, and can you please put
the allocation order changes into a roadmap?