[mythtv-users] Enabling multirec borks usability a bit.

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Apr 20 16:54:53 UTC 2010

Clay wrote:

> --- On Mon, 4/19/10, mugginz <feed.mugginz at internode.on.net> wrote:

>> I really don't understand all on the anti-LiveTV sentiment.  There are some
>>  really valid use cases that include LiveTV....
>
> I really can't think of any valid use case for watching live TV.
>
> A couple years back, we had a little fire burning upwind of us:
> <http://home.pacbell.net/clayt/fire04.jpg>
>
> One of the really valid cases for knowing what the news is now, wouldn't you
> say?
>
> I was watching three or four channels that were covering it, trying to get an
> aerial perspective of which way the fire was moving... when/if we needed to
> bug out. Having three or four channels recording that I can skim through is
> way better than 'channel surfing' and hoping to catch a glimpse of a
> landmark...
>
> Nothing on TV is so urgent that a minute or two time shift would make a
> difference, imo.

Actually, for that use case there is a much better option than Live TV, and I'm
sure that it would be almost easier to implement than Live TV. I'm taking about
the Video Wall.

This would be basically like the Picture-in-Picture code, but instead of having
a tiny window for your second channel, you take *every* channel in a given
multiplex, divvy up the screen area into equal slots and display them all. You
would use the Up and Down buttons to move a highlighted rectangle round these,
the highlighted entry would be the one you heard sound from. If you hit Enter,
you'd get that full screen. Escape, and you'd go back to the Video Wall. Menu
entries would move you between multiplexes.

Any takers?

--

Mike Perkins