[mythtv-users] Quick survey regarding passthrough device settings

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 10:46:52 UTC 2010

Hi

On 20 April 2010 00:57, German Rodriguez <callmegar at gmail.com> wrote:
> I use the decoders on my receiver as those are faster and higher
> quality, So I use the passthrough option all the time. I'd love for
> this to work with the HD streams (DTS-HD, TrueHD), for now when I
> really like a 7.1 track, I transcode it to FLAC.

This has nothing to do with having a separate passthrough device
though... Which is what my original question was about...

As for a decoder being a higher quality, I would argue that it would
make no difference. A decoded AC3 stream is always the same no matter
what does it.
With DTS-HD or TrueHD, maybe ; as some of the information transferred
can't be passed as a LPCM stream.

MythTV will not have passthrough for the HD audio though, not all
hardware can support it and I don't believe there's any linux support
for it on hardware that do support it.
It will be sent as LPCM.

That you're having better DA converters on your receiver, is a given...