[mythtv-users] Quick survey regarding passthrough device settings

GZ gzornetzer.lists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 15:27:16 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 3:54 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi there...
>
> As I'm currently rewriting the audio code once again with
> foobum at gmail.com (adds supports for > 16 bits audio (E-AC3, TrueHD,
> LPCM etc) and various channel configurations (stereo, 3.0, 4.0, 5.1,
> 7.1)
>
> I am wondering on wheither we actually need the passthrough device in
> the audio settings.
>
> On all my machines, it's always set as default, or the same physical
> device as what's used in the main audio device....
>
> So I'm interested to know from people who used it with a different
> value, why they did so and if they tried any different ways ...
>
> Hi Jean-Yves,
I use currently use a different passthrough and normal setting on my main
frontend.  During "normal" stereo operation, I just route the stereo audio
over HDMI (non-passthrough) to my TV.  However, if I'm watching a movie, or
something with good 5.1, I go back to the settings, check 'use passthrough',
and then use the SPDIF to my receiver.

If I could manage to get the HDMI output to my TV to accept the raw dolby
digital datastream, I would set it up so that the passthrough is sent to
both the receiver and the TV HDMI.  However, my attempts to do this have
failed (vid card is an nvidia GT220 and the TV is a Sony 32" S3000 series.
Alternatively, if I could set up alsa to take the dolby digital, bitstream a
copy to SPDIF, take a second copy, decode it, and send it to the TV, I'd
also be happy.  Unfortunately, I don't have the asoundrc magic to make that
happen.
Ideas?
Thanks,
-Greg