[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 9.10 problems - missed recordings and News feeds

John Williamson tyringham at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 21:04:30 UTC 2010

I have used mythbuntu since 8.04. That was a straight-forward install
that worked well and gave a working system without too much pain. I
tried upgrading to 9.10 but so much was broken that in the end I did a
complete reinstall and imported the database and recordings. It has been
nothing short of a nightmare compared to the original and I wish I had
left it as it was, but we are where we are. I have now got most things
working but still have a few bits to try and sort out. The hardware is
as follows

The motherboard is an Asus P5N7a-VM socket 775 with an Intel quad core
Q8200 CPU, 2Gb ram, 1Tb samsung sata Hard drive, Geforce 9300 onboard
graphics chip and an ALC1200 Digital sound chip. It has a Hauppauge PCI
Nova-TD-500 dual tuner, a hauppauge Nova-T usb stick and 2 PCIe
Hauppauge wintv HVR1700 cards. Using hdmi connection to HDTV and using
Nvidia 185 graphics driver using VDPAU. I had a lot of crashes when
playing recordings back until I allocated 512Mb iGPU ram to the
framebuffer which seemed to stabilise quite a lot of the system. All
firmware is properly loaded. Currently my main problem is that certain
TV programs are consistently missed and having increased the logging
output  I have obtained the following logs for the failed recordings. My
suspicions is that this is related to latency in the PCI bus and that
altering the latency of the PCI cards may help but I am getting well out
of my depth here and would appreciate more expert opinion. It is
interesting that it is always the same program that fails even though
others record perfectly well on the same channel.

DVBRec(1:/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): PID 0x25d discontinuity detected
2010-04-18 19:54:48.342 DVBRec(1:/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): PID 0x25d
discontinuity detected
2010-04-18 19:54:48.849 DVBRec(1:/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): PID 0x25d
discontinuity detected
2010-04-18 19:54:49.338 DVBRec(1:/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): PID 0x25d
discontinuity detected
2010-04-18 19:54:49.862 DVBRec(1:/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): PID 0x25d
discontinuity detected

My other problem is that when I try and run mythnews it hangs the front
end such that I have to kill it. All I can get from the logs is

2010-04-18 08:41:24.499 NewsSite, Error: HTTP Connection Error

~/.mythtv/MythNews/ is empty and I have updated the feeds
in /usr/share/mythtv/mythnews/ and have found little by googling

Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks in advance

John