[mythtv-users] Executing Scripts, etc - irexec/osd vs. Theme entries

Wayne Thomas waynethomas69 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 13:09:47 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am just looking for some input on what seems to be a personal
> preference from what I can tell.
>
> Trying to just run arbitrary commands while using mythtv from my
> remote, some mythtv related, some not..  It appears I can have the
> same functionality by programming irexec commands to buttons directly,
> or adding EXEC actions into the theme I use.  I understand the
> housekeeping required with the theme route, but I was just looking for
> technical hurdles that I may hit when trying it with the theme.
>
> I have plenty of free buttons to use for irexec (and can make as many
> as needed as well...), but the idea of having a menu on the screen to
> just scroll through with categories seems nicer to me.  I plan to just
> have a master script with all of my commands in it either way, so it
> is easy to maintain..
> Any pros/cons to this?
>
> Thanks
>
> -Greg

One con of using theme menus is that you have to quit out of what ever
you are watching/listening to (back into the menu screen) in order to
execute the script.  Using irexec means you can do whatever you want
without disrupting your current entertainment.

I queried a while back about the ability (or not) to insert menu
selections into the Internal player for exactly this reason but never
received a reply.  I presume this is because it is far too difficult
to do.

Cheers
Wayne