[mythtv-users] Executing Scripts, etc - irexec/osd vs. Theme entries

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 12:01:02 UTC 2010

I am just looking for some input on what seems to be a personal
preference from what I can tell.

Trying to just run arbitrary commands while using mythtv from my
remote, some mythtv related, some not..  It appears I can have the
same functionality by programming irexec commands to buttons directly,
or adding EXEC actions into the theme I use.  I understand the
housekeeping required with the theme route, but I was just looking for
technical hurdles that I may hit when trying it with the theme.

I have plenty of free buttons to use for irexec (and can make as many
as needed as well...), but the idea of having a menu on the screen to
just scroll through with categories seems nicer to me.  I plan to just
have a master script with all of my commands in it either way, so it
is easy to maintain..
Any pros/cons to this?

Thanks

-Greg