[mythtv-users] HDMI capture card with linux drivers

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Apr 15 16:04:53 UTC 2010

On 4/15/2010 11:43, Joel Donahue wrote:
> Not sure what it would take to get this to work with Mythtv. Would
> need to get a HDCP stripper for the signal but from what I can tell it
> should be possible. $199 is fairly reasonable.

Stripping HDCP for digital recording is in violation of DMCA, is of
questionable legality, and should not be discussed in here.

Aside from that, MythTV has recommended hardware encoders and digital
tuners for the past several years for good reason.  Real time encoding
is hard.  Capture and proper sync of audio is hard.  Hardware encoders
sidestep this issue and do it all for us.  Considering this device uses
its own API, and is not automatically supported by including the V4L
API, it is not likely anyone is going to go out of their way to write
support for a framegrabber.